One of the worst parts about getting divorced — ranking right up there with custody of the kids and child support — is dealing with money owed to the IRS. Let’s face it — a lot of couples split because of money issues, and paying taxes is sometimes right at the top of the list of money issues. 

Fortunately, the IRS understands that one spouse may be victimized by another when it comes to their tax filing and tax obligations, so the IRS has an “Innocent Spouse Rule” that might help you.

Do you qualify for professional tax relief? Take our short quiz now!

Your Tax Obligations When Married

Under the tax law, when a married couple files a joint return, both spouses are legally responsible for that return, including the deductions claimed and the tax money that is owed. Luckily, for “innocent spouses.” the IRS understands that there are situations where a spouse cannot be liable for errors — or false claims — made by the other spouse. 

How A Tax Professional Helps The Spouse

While the IRS does recognize there are “innocent spouses,” relief is granted to that innocent spouse on a case-by-case basis. This is why you need to consult with a tax professional. The examination by the IRS can be tough, and professional guidance, including legal guidance, is recommended. The IRS will want to know what the “innocent spouse” knew or didn’t know and why. You don’t want to go through this alone. 

Worry About The Kids, Not Your Taxes

A tax professional and a legal representative can properly represent you and negotiate if necessary. With all the worry about the kids and your own future and getting back on your feet, you don’t need the headaches of an additional battle with the IRS for something you had no idea was going on. 

Qualify Now